Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Eats Sheet: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream


My penchant for ice cream resurfaced over the Thanksgiving break. While C was making pumpkin pie, I figured this would be a natural choice.

It was a pretty easy concoction: two cans pumpkin, one can sweetened condensed milk, 2/3 cup brown sugar, and a few teaspoons of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. This went in with a double recipe of my normal ice cream base (5 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups milk, all heated until just before boiling, and then chilled and added to 1 quart heavy cream).

It's so much better than the storebought pumpkin ice cream. And seasonally appropriate, to boot. The only problem is that it doesn't go so well with hot fudge. Caramel isn't bad, I suppose, but I think it's best alone or with whipped cream.

2 comments:

Bjorn Watland said...

Ah, the pumpkin. Such a versatile gourd.

Round and orange and big
In pies, pancakes and cream iced
To smash is a crime

JKC said...

Nice job on the haikus lately, Bjorn.

I've never had pumpkin pancakes, though I can imagine they're good. I do notice that you left out pumpkin cookies. Interesting that chocolate chips go well with pumpkin cookies but hot fudge doesn't work so well with pumpkin ice cream.

C makes this fantastic pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. Amazing.